[CQ-Contest] Re: Bad practices identified

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Thu Jul 20 15:20:41 EDT 2000

W4PA wrote:
> A question, (this has happened to me as recently as
> the IARU last weekend) - what are the ethics involved
> with this scenario:  I am CQing, work someone, then
> quickly arrange to have them QSY to another band.
> Immediately, someone hears this and starts calling
> CQ on my frequency (tries to take it).  My response
> usually is to just continue to call CQ and hope I
> can still get the mult on the other band.  I'm sure
> the opinions are all over the map on this one, but
> if you say you're going to QSY, does that IMMEDIATELY
> give the right to someone to try to take over your
> run frequency?  I am not stating an opinion either
> way as I understand the motivations involved from
> both sides of this event.  Any thoughts?

In this case, you have not left.  This comes down to a "normal"
frequency battle.  The scenario you describe happens all the time with
multi-multi's when they move a mult.  After all, how does the
"opportunist" know you're not multi-multi ?  Should moving a mult
require relinquishment of a run frequency ?

 No way !

Robert E. Naumann
N5NJ / V26O
N5NJ at arrl.net