[CQ-Contest] SO2R is not unsportmanlike

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Jul 22 18:37:57 EDT 2000

At 11:12 AM 7/22/00 -0400, k8cc wrote:

>I am starting to get offended by the characterization by some on this
>reflector that SO2R operation is unsportsman like.  This has culminated
>with K3ZO's recent statement "And no, I never have been, and never will be,
>SO2R."  You can almost detect (if that's possible via e-mail) the sneer.  I
>don't mean to pick on Fred, but such characterizations are unfair.

... and, I suspect, unwarranted, at least in this case.  Fred chooses to do
a number of things "his way," but I have never heard him characterize the
other (legal, legitimate) ways of doing them as unsportsmanlike, just not
his cup of tea.  His use of a separate keyer to send CW is an example.

>From long business experience with e-mail, I'm always leery of making
inferences from them, absent the additional inputs, like tone of voice,
facial expression, etc.

That aside, I thought Dave's discussion of SO2R was a solid, balanced
rendition.  Not bad, just different.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at