[CQ-Contest] SO2R is not unsportmanlike

Bruce Sawyer n6nt at ynn.com
Sat Jul 22 23:29:07 EDT 2000

From: "k8cc" <k8cc at mediaone.net>

> I am starting to get offended by the characterization by some on this
> reflector that SO2R operation is unsportsman like

> Skilled SO2R operation should be undetectable to others on the air.
N5NJ's
> recent note precisely describes how SO2R was intended to be used; to slip
> off and make a QSO on another band *without disturbing activities on the
> run radio.

This is the key:  "SKILLED" SO2R operators.  The problem is that 99% of the
so-called SO2R operators are NOT skilled at it, and I would characterize
many of those who are not as at least bordering on unsportsman-like.  Many
times I have watched N5TJ running a solid pile-up on his run frequency,
probably getting 150+ an hour, and at the same time have tracked him up
another band doing S&P, putting another 80/hr or so into the log.  That is
awesome to behold!  Whenever you work Jeff in either mode, you're convinced
you're the only one on his agenda at the moment.  (Except for the fact that
he likes to set his keyer REAL slow when he's S&P.)  But Jeff is truly
unique, and I can name lots of wanna-be N5TJ's.  I cannot count how many
times I have had a super strong "KxxA" call me on my run frequency, yet
never come back to me when I send him a report.  When this happens about the
5th time within the same contest, I just quit coming back to that call.
Likewise, I've ended up in many frequency fights for precisely the same
reason others have mentioned.  I "QRL?", "CQ", make 3 or 4 QSOs, and then
suddenly find myself accused of stealing somebody's frequency.

No, SO2R isn't a bad thing in and of itself, methinks.  It's just most of
the people who call themselves SO2R guys are utterly inept at it and create
a lot of bad feelings as they fumble along.

73,
Bruce, N6NT/ZF2NT
NOT a SO2R guy (most of the time!)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com