[CQ-Contest] wrtc pileup

Jamie Tolbert jtolbert at gremlan.org
Wed Jul 26 00:07:45 EDT 2000

Anyone know the origin of the SSB pileup used in WRTC 2000? Is this an
actual pileup or just a compiled one?

73 Jamie WW3S

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com

From: Leigh S. Jones" <kr6x at adsl-63-194-227-234.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net (Leigh S. Jones)
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:32:56 -0700
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Sound Mixer

While operating W6HX in the early and mid 70's, I used twin rigs with a 6
position switch in lieu of a 3 position switch.  The outside positions of
the switch connected through to one headphone or the other through a filter
of my own design that was used not to provide selectivity, but instead to
provide a spatial effect with low frequencies seeming to come from the left
side and high frequencies seeming to come from the right side.  The two
center positions were used for stereo reception, and the two midway
positions sitting astride the two center positions were used for
single-receiver listening without the spatial filters.  With a moderately
wide IF filter in use, signals of different tones could be distinguished by
the direction from which they seemed to come and it became easier to focus
to and differentiate between the signals.

The filter I used connected one ear through a capacitor and the other
through an inductor, and the values were selected experimentally to create
the spatial effect.  The values didn't really seem to cause very much
attenuation of the affected tones through either ear when a single cup of
the headset was pressed against one ear, but the spatial effect was obvious
with both ears.  Switching between a wide and a narrow CW filter, it was
easy to hear that the background hiss seemed to come from one direction
slightly to the right of center in the narrow filter, while my sidetone came
from farther to the right of center (the sidetone didn't come from the
frequency where the transmitted signal would have been found, although the
transmitted tone could be "spotted").  On the transceivers being used, the
signals seemed to come generally from the direction that the tuning knob had
to be turned to center the signal.  I'd have turned the headphones around on
my head if the signals came in backwards, placing the low frequencies on the
right instead of the left, but with the transceivers that I used (with upper
sideband CW reception on all bands) this was only needed on the low bands on
phone.  Yes, the filters were useful on phone, too.  On CW I tended to look
in the apparent direction of the signal that I was listening to, as if I
could tune the band with my eyes, and I remember that sometimes I'd dodge my
head and shoulders as if it could help me hear through interference.

Why two center positions?  One connected the keyer to the left rig, and one
connected the keyer to the right rig.  On phone, W6HX was equipped with two
microphones, and two footswitches were always used.  The big 6 position
wafer switch was purchased from Henry Radio, and I think I remember that it
was a replacement bandswitch for an old Collins receiver like a 75A4, but
I'm not quite sure these many decades later.

After a couple of years of contesting with the switch, the wafers were
beginning to wear out or get dirty, and I'd gotten completely into the habit
of listening with one rig in each ear all of the time anyway, so I stopped
bringing the big switch to the contests at Ted's.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com