[CQ-Contest] di-dit dit

Roland A. Anders anders at erols.com
Tue Jul 25 20:45:05 EDT 2000

I can confirm the diditdit  is American Morse for C.  There are some other
american morse leftovers as well. the SK is from american morse
didididahdit   daaaaah
which is 30.  30 is the code still used sometimes at the end of a newspaper
column to indicate the end.

I believe (just my theory) that HI comes from didididit  ditdit, which is
American Morse for HO (as in HO HO HO).  (Remember American Morse had
letters with slightly longer spacing between dits, so didit is I, ditdit is
O, and dit dit is E E).

They ES used for 'and' on the ham bands comes from ditdididit, American
morse for Ampersand ("and" sign).  The word AMPERSAND comes from when the
kids said their alphabet really fast and had the 'and' sign at the end.
They would say "...WXYZ and per se 'AND'" --Which means "and, uniquely
(literally, for itself) AND."  In the way that A&P became AMPEE over time
with kids, "and per se 'AND'" became AMPERSAND.

Don't ask me where "HAM" came from--all the stories sound unlikely to me, hi
hi(or should I say, HO HO)
-  Rol, K3RA

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com