[CQ-Contest] Re: Bad practices identified

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr at radio.org
Wed Jul 26 16:04:52 EDT 2000

On 7/20/00 12:13, Bill Turner at w7ti at jps.net wrote:

>I say when a station QSYs he immediately relinquishes the frequency.  If a
>second station finds the empty spot and calls CQ one time, it's his.  How
>else could it be without having utter chaos?

I think this is flawed. It presupposes a notion of "ownership" of a
frequency. There's no such thing in the amatuer service.

I believe there are only two principles involved in these sorts of
frequency battles. The first, since there's no ownership of frequencies,
denotes the concept of frequency use. When we send QRL?, we don't ask who
owns the frequency, we ask if the frequency is in use.

If a frequency is in use for a bona fide amatuer activity, then the
second principle comes into play: intentional interference. Once it is
known that a frequency is in use, trying to use that frequency for other
purposes may constitute intentional interference. (This isn't true of all
modes, Packet, for instance, can share frequencies to good effect)

What this means is that no amatuer should intentionally occupy a
frequency in use, so as to cause intentional interference with other
amatuer activities.

So, sure, when a SO2R operator QSYs, he's no longer using the frequency.
Of course, the observer can't tell if he QSYed or not except by
implication: 20-90 seconds go by with no transmissions.

Now, if another operator starts in and begins to CQ, the operating
question is -- who is using the frequency? Seems like the new guy can
make that claim.

Interestingly, if you apply this concept of non-ownership, usage-only and
non-interference to other operations, it leads you to some decisive
conclusions:

* Contester is running, when a voice comes on frequency and declares that
this frequency is for the "XYZ" net, which uses it every day at this
time. -- With non-ownership, the net can't possibly claim the frequency,
regardless of prior history. Since it is clear the contester is using the
frequency, non-interference would dictate the net will have to operate
slightly off their usual frequency. (But, there's no harm in a net
operator politely requesting the contester to move -- a consciencious
operator is likely to QSY a bit)

* Automatic broadcasts by ARRL, et al. While the frequencies and
schedules are published, these operations often interfe with existing
amatuer activity in progress. With the concepts outlined above, such
operations should have to QSY if the frequencies are in used when they
are scheduled to begin.... (Except outside the designated freqencies for
automatic operation)

Hmm...

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com