[CQ-Contest] Field day no-coders?

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Jun 1 06:29:34 EDT 2000

At 10:21 PM 5/31/00 EDT, KI9A at aol.com wrote:

>hey gang,  I have a question about field day--on the novice/tech station, IF
>a we use a couple of tech +'s to set up & operate the novice/tech station,
>using a TECH+ call,  can a NO-CODE tech operate & help set-up?
>just wondering, we have a no-coder who wants to get his feet wet, since the
>HF stations are full of "hard-core guys", novice station seems like the
>obvious place to start..
>what do you think??

>From a legal standpoint, as long as a Tech+ is present to serve as the
control op, sure, but are your "hard-core" folks really that "hard?"  On
our FDs, there is always plenty to do till the gun sounds, but lots of
operating time available on the "regular" stations, and no reason a Tech
couldn't operate one of them too, under the same control op standard.

Yhe FD rule somebody cited was clearly intended to prevent operation of the
novice/tech station by HIGHER class ops, not to negate opportunities for
no-code Techs to be exposed to FD.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr at contesting.com

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com