[CQ-Contest] SO2R a new category?

DougKR2Q at aol.com DougKR2Q at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 09:48:01 EDT 2000

Hi all:

This SO2R category stuff is rather old hat.  It's not as popular as Packet or SCP debates, but it comes up every couple of years.

My 2 cents (actual value) is:

1.  The benefit of operating two radios varies by contest.  I'm not an SS type, but I gather that its impact there is larger than in CQWW ssb/cw.

2.  In CQWW, having 3 towers with multiple monoband stacks in multiple directions is a much bigger advantage (than one tower and only one set of monobanders) than is SO2R over SO1R.  Should there be a 2Tower and 3Tower category?  I'm confident that any contester worth their salt would rather operate at the station with lots of towers and multiple stacks using ONE radio than at a 1T station with 1 gain antenna per band and SO2R.

3.  I've not operated RTTY, but I'll bet that SO2R in RTTY is a MUCH bigger advantage than SO2R on SSB or CW...the operator's "skill" is much less of a factor in RTTY than on the other modes.  :-)

Okay...enough for now.

de Doug KR2Q

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com