[CQ-Contest] SO2R a new category?

Marty N5NW at midsouth.rr.com
Thu Jun 1 13:33:22 EDT 2000

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000 08:48:01 EDT, DougKR2Q at aol.com wrote:

>Hi all:
>
>This SO2R category stuff is rather old hat.  It's not as popular as Packet or SCP debates, but it comes up every couple of years.
>
>My 2 cents (actual value) is:

If I may, and my comments are worth even less than 2c:

I'd like to take the opportunity during this disussion to lobby for fewer
entry classes.  Something along the lines of simple and unlimited classes for
single and multi-op.

Single "simple" would be one operator with a single transmitter and receiver
(or single transceiver) and no assistance from spotting or others.

Everything else would be Single unlimited, to include SO2R, packet spotting,
etc.

Same for multi -- a multi-single "simple" category for two or more people
operating an otherwise "single simple" station.  All other multi operation
would be unlimited.  Yes, multi-single assisted would compete with
multi-multi.  In my book, assisted makes you multi/multi, as you have
(literally) thousands of receivers out there monitoring for you.

Then, there would be team and club competition.  The "multi" effort (like the
one described in the current NCJ) would be allowed as a team or club, rather
than a single station multi/multi unlimited operation.

So, to sum up:

Single unassisted
Single unlimited

Multiop/Single transmitter unassisted
Multiop unlimited

Club/Team/School  (while I'm at it, focus this category on points per
operator, not aggregate points).

Operator skill shows up in unassisted.  Station design and engineering (and
secondarily operator skill) shows up in unlimited.

Like I said, probably less than 2c worth.

--
Marty, N5NW
Lakeland (Memphis), Tennessee                       http://marty.w.tripod.com/
N5NW at midsouth.rr.com