[CQ-Contest] SO2R

Fred Laun K3ZO aalaun at ibm.net
Sat Jun 3 03:22:38 EDT 2000

W2GD wrote:

 >Creation of a separate SO2R entry class is IMHO long overdue.

Sorry I don't agree.  I have been a long time participant in the SOHP
category in major contests.  I have never used two radios and have no plans
to start but if my competition is using two radios it doesn't make a whit
of difference to me.  Let them do whatever they want and I will still turn
in a respectable score.

My purposes in getting into contests follow in this order:

1) To have fun

2) To work lots of stations so the QSLs will come rolling in

3) To savor the contest as I go along providing myself with brief periods
where I can just think about what is going on, marvel at conditions, and
learn ever more about propagation.

4) To refine and improve my operating technique without changing the
station hardware configuration.

5) To improve my score while still doing everything "MY WAY".

Oh yes, I do use computer logging but I still refuse to connect the
computer with the radio.

Nobody pays me to do this job, so I still have the right to do it the way I
want.  But why should I want to make everybody else do things my way?

Yes, Vince Lombardi was reported to have said:  "Winning isn't everything,
it's the ONLY thing."  But he was being paid good money to organize a team
made up of people being paid good money to win.

Whenever I think that greater efficiency = less fun, I'll pass on greater
efficiency  every time.

73, Fred, K3ZO

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com