[CQ-Contest] Its back, SO2R whining and winning

K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jun 3 11:34:04 EDT 2000

Every year this same topic comes up...

SO2R, is it unfair?

Every time it comes up I chime in....with the following:

If you are competing as one set of brain cells versus another discreet set
of brain cells you have a fair competition between two hams.

One person may have taught his brain to be able to handle more data, heard
K5ZD once say he could not do any casual operating with just one rig
running.  He has developed a skill which will allow his gray cells to amass
more points.

Hardware does make a difference, but the ability to maximize the hardware is
what the winners demonstrate.  Anyone who heard the North Versus South talk
by K1AR and Bill Fisher ( :-) ) knows that a large reason for Bill's success
over Mr. WW CW was due to second radio QSOs (especially on 160!) - not that
John is a slouch there, but it is clear that when you compete at this level
it is not maximizing QSOs that is the sole key any longer it is maximizing
points...i.e. making a lot of Mults as well as QSOs.

Big hardware allows QSOs totals to rise, operator skill provides multiplier
totals to rise...part of that skill is not just knowing prop tricks, but
second radio maximization.

No, a new category is not needed...it is just that now the spread of the
scores is greater, not because the lower scorers are scoring lower....but
the bigger scorers are scoring higher!  Society should never penalize doing
good!

Just say no to the dumbing down of contesting! One category is just
fine...laud those who have perfected the current state of the art - don't
poo poo it because you have not.

Mark your calendar, it is the beginning of June...how long before this
resurfaces?

73,

Jim, K4OJ
k4oj at arrl.net

Proud member of the Florida Contest Group, visit our website at:
http://www.qsl.net/fcg

The Florida Contest Group thanks K1ZZ and the ARRL for the opportunity to
host W1AW/4 in the 2000 IARU HF Championship.  Look for us on all 12 band
modes - we'll be there on your second radio!

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com