[CQ-Contest] push around/interference

Eric June ericj at kudonet.com
Wed Mar 1 02:51:10 EST 2000

At 11:50 PM 02/29/00 -0500, Doug KR2Q wrote:

>Again, I say that if Station 2 can out-CQ station 1 as evidenced by
successful QSO's, then station 2 "won" the frequency and did NOT steal it
from station 1.  This IS a contest.  By CQ'ing, the frequency is up for grabs.

>I run QRP often.  I NEVER feel that someone stole "my" fequency...they WON
it.  Why is this so hard to understand?

Wow!  Now I understand why the non-contesting majority despises us so much.
 Why is your assertation so hard to understand?  Because Part 97 is so EASY
to understand:

97.101 General standards
(d) No amateur operator shall willfully or maliciously interfere with or
cause interference to any radio communication or signal.

A CQ is certainly a "signal".  If you plop down and call CQ on a frequency
where you know another station is already calling CQ, or transmitting any
other signal for that matter, then you are "willfully" interfering with
that "signal".  You are violating FCC regulations.

Now notice this segment of the "General Rules for All ARRL Contests":

2. Conditions of Entry: Entrants agree to be bound by:
2.2 The regulations of their licensing authority.

Since you can't even enter the contest (because you aren't acting within
the regulations of your licensing authority), what is the point of firing
up and causing deliberate interference?

73,

Eric, KU6J

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com