[CQ-Contest] Plaque for Multi - Single LOW POWER

Marty Watt n5nw at midsouth.rr.com
Fri Mar 10 18:46:41 EST 2000

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:12:41 -0600, "Barry Merrill" <barry at MXG.com> wrote:

>I'm not against a low power Multi-Single category,
>but I don't think that's going to increase the
>number of stations to talk to, and that's what
>the Run stations need - new blood to talk to.
>

>We need a category to draw casual hams into
>more than a few casual contacts, and primarily
>we want these new stations to contact the serious
>contest stations, i.e., those who always RUN!

Would we be better off changing the requirements for a rookie class?

Right now, the contests that have a "rookie" class are based on the length of
time one has held a license.  If I've been licensed for 4 years, I cannot
enter a contest as a rookie even though I've never participated before!  I'd
prefer to see someone allowed to enter a rookie class for two consecutive
years beginning with the first entry.

Having that "recognition" might attract some additional talent to the fray.
Also, I made a proposal to the Contest Committee some time back to enhance the
school competition aspect, and to develop a way to recognize a state and
national champion "high school" radio club.  They could operate from any
station within the recognized school district or county, and would not
necessarily have a faculty advisor, but could draw on the oversight of any
local amateur operator (if indeed even that were required).

--
Marty, N5NW
Lakeland (Memphis), Tennessee                       http://marty.w.tripod.com/
N5NW at midsouth.rr.com