[CQ-Contest] Plaque for Multi - Single LOW POWER

Wigi Tozzi wigi at alaska.com
Sat Mar 11 02:33:33 EST 2000

On the surface, I really like the idea of a M/S low power plaque. My
fear would be that like anything competitive, this plaque would soon be
out of reach of almost everyone. A W4, or LZ, or JA, or KL could not
compete with a PJ4 or EA9 running that same category, if those operators
chose to make a serious effort at that plaque (talking CQWW here). My
concern would be that as well-intentioned as that might be, I don't
think that the group that we are trying to encourage would be encouraged
for very long.

I also don't agree with the idea that the idea of encouraging people to
enter contests just so the M/M stations have more to work. I do most of
my contests from a M/M station (this season is an exception) and while
having more stations to work is certainly desirable, I think there are
other, more important benefits. I believe that contest participation
benefits all of us, because our interests are represented by a larger
body of hams.

I can see both perspectives. I can see how adding a plaque might
encourage a group of currently under-represented hams to participate. I
can also see how that plaque (like most others) would quickly become
unattainable for the very people we're courting.

73...

Wigi, AL7IF

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com