[CQ-Contest] Computer and paper logs

Guy Berger ON7ZV berger at cyc.ucl.ac.be
Wed Mar 15 09:51:02 EST 2000

We face the same situation for the UBA contest. Combining SSB and CW we
reach around 1000 logs.

The different log format ratios stated by Dave are the same on this side.

As we started a automatic log checking procedure, we need to encode all
written logs which is a long and boring process, but I think that we can
not refuse hand written or printed entries.

Even if in our case freeware software (SDU) is available, not everybody has
a computer in the shack (believe it or not!).

Let's keep our mind open for the novice contesters. We receive logs with
low QSO numbers and you can be sure that these are hand written. If we want
to increase contest participation, we must accept the fact that people are
sending exotic file format or log presentation.

73 de Guy

At 10:03 PM 3/14/00 -0500, thompson at mindspring.com wrote:

>K4OJ said that everybody uses computer logging but there are those who still
>don't and they should not be left out.
>
>I get logs from a UA4 who tells me each year no computer available.   His
>logs never make it to ARRL or CQ WW
>contests so he no longer bothers.   A UN2 (usually a big score) says he has
>to re-enter all the Q's post contest if a computer log is required.   He has
>to go 60 Km for the computer.   A W3 (big score both modes) still sends me a
>paper log.   All are accepted
>by the CQ 160 contest.  They get well checked and all new stations they work
>are entered into my fuzzy logic program to make sure they are not busts.
>
>E-mail logs are between 45 and 50% on both CW and SSB.   Computer printouts
>(various) reach 20%, diskettes reach 15% and the rest are paper logs.
>Paper logs drop off a little more each year but we must accept the fact that
>they will be around for some time to come.
>
>Dave K4JRB
>

>--
>CQ-Contest on WWW:        http://www.contesting.com/_cq-contest/
>Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com

BERGER  Guy   *    Radio amateur call sign: ON7ZV
                     Brussels DX Team member
                 One of the Contest Committee gang
Cyclotron Research Center
Catholic University of Louvain-la-Neuve
Phone:+32/(0)10 47 32 25   Fax:+32/(0)10 45 21 83
E-Mail:   BERGER at cyc.ucl.ac.be
ICQ#  28738765
http://www.cyc.ucl.ac.be/

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com