[CQ-Contest] We had 1200 entrants and 1199 categories, our apologies to the guy who lost...

K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 16 05:21:29 EST 2000

N2MG nailed it when he wrote the following, re: the new SS category
proposal...

This would fundamentally change the contest without getting any more people
to operate the contest.

YES IT WOULD ALTER A TIME PROVEN FORMULAE-REMEMBER THE LAST TIME ARRL TRIED
TO TOTALLY REMAKE A CONTEST>>>>>yuccccckkkkkkk

I would hope the goal would be to get more people on the air, not just take
the boredom out of Sunday.

AGREED...BY STALLING WHEN GUYS TURN ON THEIR RIGS TIL SUNDAY WITHOUT
INCREASING THE OVERALL NUMBER OF ENTRANTS YOU KILL THE THRILL OF THOSE FIRST
FEW BLISTERING HOURS OF SS!

N2MG, You have my vote - 100%....we do not need MORE

AND

MORE

AND

MORE

Categories...

We do need more participants...and yes it would be nice to see them show up
on Sunday afternoon when things slow down for all of us...would this
category get people on who normally would not get on anyway...I don't think
so....mebbe they might make more QSOs overall, yes...but it is not NEW
BLOOD, THAT WE REALLY NEED.

This is a sad spin-off of our times where there has to be as many categories
as entrants in EVERY contest, so we don't upset those with a tribander that
has a busted tip on the reflector and a hollow state transceiver with a
noisy rf gain control...kinda like the teachers who cannot give kids bad
grades, after all they might feel bad about that!

SOME categories are good...but a few years back someone opened the flood
gates - doesn't anyone besides me compete with himself, and occasionally
enjoy seeing that by besting themselves they have bested a few others, too?

If we are so obsessed with beating someone else, why do we get on in every
contest...even a K1TO or N5KO does not win EVERY one?

My wallpaper, with a few exceptions is in a drawer...it is not what
motivates me...does it really motivate someone to win a category with no
competition?  That seems to be what we have with a plethora of categories...

Lets start by deciding we want to increase the number of different
participants, then figure a way to get them to turn on their radios on that
weekend - FOR THE FIRST TIME, once the hook is set, the rest does
itself...the readership of this reflector knows that in their heart of
hearts!

Read my lips...No New Categories!

....hmmmmmmm

73,

Jim, K4OJ
k4oj at arrl.net

Dude, its less than two months until the Florida QSO Party, check out the
details at

http://www.qsl.net/fqp/

Proud member of the Florida Contest Group, visit our website at:
http://www.qsl.net/fcg

The Florida Contest Group thanks K1ZZ and the ARRL for the opportunity to
host W1AW/4 in the 2000 IARU HF Championship.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com