[CQ-Contest] UBN's and other stuff

Scott Ellington sdelling at facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 22 16:12:51 EST 2000

Perhaps I'm more strict than most, but here are my suggestions for keeping
your UBN and penalties low:

Do not log a contact unless you are SURE the QSO was good.

Rely on the timing when the calling station doesn't send your call, but if
there is any doubt s/he is calling you, verify it.

If there could be any doubt about who you are calling, send the call.

When someone busts your call, don't send your exchange until s/he gets it
right.

If you lose a weak station in the noise, send "SRI NIL", etc.

If a QSO ends without definite confirmation, delete it.

Log all duplicates.

*****

As far as I know, you are not penalized in any contest if the other operator
busts your call, as long as there's a near match in the log.  For example, I'm
often logged as K0MA, W9MA, etc., without penalty (for me).  I'm not sure W0MA
or K0MT (two letters wrong) would be close enough to avoid the NIL penalty,
but that must be pretty rare.

73,

Scott  K9MA

--