[CQ-Contest] UBN's and other stuff

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Mar 22 15:10:46 EST 2000

At 12:12 PM 3/22/2000 -0500, Merrimon Crawford wrote:

>A much needed topic of discussion, Jim.
>
>I would like to see more discussions of these matters and contest operating
>techniques/modifications thereof with the advent of electronic log checkers
>both on reflectors and in the contest journals.
>
>What do I do if a CQing station does not acknowledge the correction I give
>him/her of my call sign? ...

>So far, I have entered people in good faith except when they will not
>acknowledge the call sign correction by repeating it or at least saying
>"QSL" or something and they seem to have some kind of attitude (I corrected
>one person whose response was a nasty "yeah, yeah, yeah.").  But then
>again, I have only just started turning in electronic logs and have yet to
>see how much my scores will be reduced.
>
>How does one's operating techniques change with a view to big stations and
>smaller, weaker stations?

For whatever it's worth, when I'm running, my software (TRLog) is set up so
that if I change the call-sign I've copied, it automatically acknowledges
the correction.  I think that's fundamental.

As for what I do when someone doesn't acknowledge my correction of *my*
call, that depends.  If I think I'm loud for him, then I assume he got it,
and is just operating sloppily.  If I think he really might not have heard
it, either from signal strength or QRM, then I keep trying, and, if I can't
get it acknowledged, I have to decide whether to delete it from my log.
Usually I leave it in.

Certainly I would never dump someone from my log just because they were
weak.  I might mess up their call, though, and honestly miss the correction
in the ruck.

At least I know I got yours right a couple of times recently -- thanks for
the Qs!

73,  Pete N4ZR

Don't forget to update your entry in the World Contest Station Database
http://206.102.70.3/search.htm

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com