[CQ-Contest] "LAST 2" - Personal Experiences

Jon Ogden jono at enteract.com
Mon Mar 27 20:17:11 EST 2000

Hi all,

A few months ago when one of the "last 2" conversations came up on
cq-contest, I asked why it was so bad.  Many people responded and helped me
see just why it is.

Well, this weekend, I experienced that personally.  In the WPX I was able to
have some nice runs.  Many times due to QRM, noise, etc. I would not be able
to pick up more than a couple of letters.  However, there were times in
clear conditions that a very strong station would come in with the "last 2."
It definitely slowed things down.

And what really frustrated me is best described by the following:

KE9NA:  CQ Contest from KE9NA
Other:  Tango Foxtrot
KE9NA:  Tango Foxtrot full call
Other:  Italy Bravo Zero Juliet Tango Foxtrot (I made up this call just now)
...SILENCE.....
KE9NA: IB0JTF 591245
etc...

This happened numerous times.  The guy was given the mic to give his call
and my report but only gave his call.  And there was no need to do it that
way.  It made for an extra transmission for him and for me.  I use the
Italian call because they seemed to be the worst at giving the last 2s.  It
was totally aggravating.

I must say that the BEST operators for calling me were the Japanese.  I
worked some really nice runs of JAs on 10 and 15 on Saturday afternoon for a
couple of hours and nearly every one of them gave me their full call.  None
of them were over modulated and they were very, very patient and polite.  I
have to give the JAs a large number of kudos for their operating skills.

I must say I have been more successful breaking pileups since being taught
to give full callsigns and I have begun teaching others as well.  Perhaps
someone can learn from my observations here.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden