[CQ-Contest] When and why did rules change?

Dmitri Bagno RW3FO bagno at mai.ru
Fri May 5 01:48:55 EDT 2000

Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 16:39:49 -0400
From: Bill Coleman AA4LR <aa4lr at radio.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] When and why did rules change?
<<
The quad probably wouldn't qualify, since there's more than one feedline.
I would suppose the "single feedline" requirement is to prevent someone
from putting up an interlaced monobander and calling it a tribander.

And, yes, a Rhombic or a V beam are both single element antennas.

Igor UA9CDC emphasized a weak part of rules, I am sure. Both
the above approaches to define "T" and "S" are disputable basing
on known antenna theory...

Actually, I understand the following when reading the rules:
1) if "quads" is a single installation able to operate on three
bands, if all of single-band resonant elements are in essential
mutual coupling with each other, hence "quads" IS a tribander;
2) any [quite long] travelling wave antenna can be considered as
linear array with consequent feed; moreover, both rhombic and
V-beam are often considered as evolution of 4 (or more) "single
element" Beverages [configured in specific manner to reduce
sidelobes]; so rhombic and V-beam antennas are NOT single
element antennas.

So, I am acting intuitive against the definitions at top, and I
really feel I am in agreement with the rules. Perhaps, an author
assumed current cut-off technics-based antennas with electrical
sizes varying depending on operating band?...
My oppinion: perhaps, some examples of antenna types of "T"
and "S" are necessary to show in rules or in some supplement
to clear up T/S part.

--Dmitri (RW3FO)
bagno at mai.ru

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com