[CQ-Contest] When and why did rules change?

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Fri May 5 05:24:23 EDT 2000

The tribander/single element category for WPX is a great idea.

It had the best of intentions: giving the little guy without heaps of hardware
a chance to compete against similar stations, rather than all us little guys
feeling like the little guys we are when lumped together with the big boys.

Problem: even though my one & only "tribander" has separate feeds & my LF
antenna has a single element & I would only use one radio - therefore staying
within what I would consider the intent of this rule - I can't, just because I
split feed my quad (which covers more than the three bands implied, hence the
quote marks).

So here I am, with my little "tribander" & vertical doublet, squeezed into the
confines of an apartment roof, forced to compete against the big boys.

Thanks, but no thanks - VR2BigGun I am not & shame on me for trying to
maximize what I can do with what little I've got in contests other than WPX!

The definition of the tribander/single element category has missed the point,
just as much of the current discussion in this thread.  It's a bummer others
can't see this - the intention is good, but the implementation could use a
little tweaking, that's all.

73, VR2BrettGraham

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com