[CQ-Contest] CONTEST IDing

James B. Neiger Jim_Neiger at XonTech.com
Thu Nov 30 20:09:31 EST 2000

FWIW DEPARTMENT:

It's interesting to digest so many opinions as to how and when DX stations
should ID.  Unfortunately, too many of the opinions are from those who most
likely haven't had to figure it out, real time.

When I started my DXpeditioning career 35 years ago, I attempted to follow
the guidelines so aptly established by one we all admired, Katashi Nose,
KH6IJ.  Nosey very effectively signed his call after EVERY contact, and this
did THREE things:

(1) I acknowledge the exchange and call you sent,

(2) I am KH6IJ,

(3) QRZ?

So what's wrong with the above approach?  Not much in my opinion, but
absolute purists may say "you're reducing your rate by IDing too often".
Maybe some times.  But maybe NOT other times.

One can do the simple math and figure out:

Send Less, Send Faster.

However, there are definitely times when sending your call EVERY QSO will
actually result in a higher rate.

I have been sometimes accused of sending my call too often, but at the same
time I've been blessed with really short calls, like ZD8Z, VR1W, 8P6J, ZX5J,
TI1C, and last weekend, KH7R.  I don't think Phil Goetz would have wanted to
send his call every QSO last weekend do you?  It was something like OX/N6ZZ.
Or Dick Norton with RK0AXX?  Gads.  Do you guys REALLY want him to take up
all that time by waiting for him to send that call several hundred times
every hour?  Doubtful.

When the pileup is essentially gone, I find sending the call every time is
definitely the way to go.  At other times, you just go with the flow, and
send it as frequently as you feel necessary.

It is IMPORTANT for all to remember, the DX station is in-charge, and
dictates as to how he chooses to operate.
Everyone else has the absolute freedom to call him, or not.  But it's HIS
pileup.  Let him run it the way he wants.  If you think you're better, than
YOU go out and prove it!

Pet peeve:  those who are in such a hurry that they can't wait a minute or
two and find out who the pileup is.  So, they're inclined to put a big fat
"?"  on the frequency, most likely wiping out an exchange, slowing down the
whole effort, and demonstrating that they're no better than the guy running
the pileup - they haven't IDed either.

While I'm on the subject:  another pet peeve:  those again in such a hurry
that they MUST CALL before they know who they're calling.  Frequently
resulting in a dupe.
What a waste of everyone's time.

As far as packet goes, as Jeff said, it probably isn't going to go away, so
we gotta live with it.  This is truly unfortunate as it is OBVIOUSLY
resulting in the diminution of operating skills.  That we have (most) all
succumbed to easy operating with CT/NA/TR and computers to do our sending,
logging, and duping, ISN'T IT PATHETIC that some of us want others to also
do our RECEIVING for us??

Another pet peeve:  packeteers who can't even copy your call correctly, post
an erroneous call on the packet, and the frequently resulting dupes.
Please, if you're so proud that (1)you actually found DX, and wish to tell
the world same (why else would anyone waste their time by putting out packet
spots?),  (2) make sure you're also a good listener and get the DX station's
call right.  Thank you.

Lastly, I would like to see packet banned in the major contests, and get all
cluster operators (or whatever they're called) to agree to SHUT EVERYTHING
DOWN for the contest duration.

Thank you for reading this far.

Vy 73

Jim Neiger