[CQ-Contest] Re: to ID or not to ID...

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at w9wi.com
Thu Nov 30 23:53:57 EST 2000

> While I'm on the subject:  another pet peeve:  those again in such a hurry
> that they MUST CALL before they know who they're calling.  Frequently
> resulting in a dupe.

We're talking about *contesting*.  I'm not here to have a few leisurely DX
QSOs; I'm on to work as many QSO points & mults as possible in a limited
amount of time.  Not IDing with every QSO leaves S&Ping serious contestants
two choices:

1.	Don't call until the DX IDs.  And waste at least enough time for one
additional QSO - with many DX stations, as many as 10-15 QSOs.

2.	Call & then ask for the DX station's call.

I choose #2.  I don't think it's reasonable to demand the DX ID *before* you
call them, but once you're in QSO with the DX I think it's reasonable to
insist on knowing who you just worked!  Yes, this leads to plenty of dupes.
It also leads to the occasional upset DX station who can't seem to figure
out why I just worked him for the fourth time.

There have also been occasions where the DX refuses to ID when asked.  At
that point, I can either start sending "CALL?" over the next QSO or I can
scratch the QSO & let the DX station have a NIL.  Which would the non-IDing
operators prefer?!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66