[CQ-Contest] Great exemplary CW Can Be Fast! All CW is gud

Bill Coleman aa4lr at atlnet.com
Fri Nov 10 15:02:08 EST 2000

On 11/9/00 7:13 PM, James White at k4oj at tampabay.rr.com wrote:

>IF SOMEONE CALLS ME AT A SLOWER RATE, I ALT F9 THE SPEED DOWN SO AS TO SEND
>AT HIS LEVEL...
>
>IF SOMEONE HEARS MY LOUD SIGNAL AND I AM JUST TOO MUCH OF A SPEED DEMON THEN
>HE SHOULD SEND QRS....AND I WILL HAPPILY OBLIGE

Both good pieces of advice for good operating practices.

Of course, if you never lower your operating speed for a CQ, you'll miss
all those QRS operators who hear your blinding CW and tune right past.

On those slow Sundays in SS, exactly how fast do you have to send CQ over
and over?

Varying your code speed is also a good operating practice. Different
speeds will attract different operators.

We noticed this very strongly a NQ4I's #1 USA M/M finish in the WPX CW
1998. Rick and I were operating 10m. Rick preferred his CW around 34 wpm,
I felt more comfortable at about 26 wpm. Each type we switched, we were
greeted with a flurry of calls.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at atlnet.com
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com