[CQ-Contest] Shorten CW SS

Brakob, Hans Hans_Brakob at adc.com
Tue Nov 7 12:23:28 EST 2000

K6LL said:

> Just think, though, about how hard Sunday afternoon
> was, trying to scrounge up a few measly contacts.
> Was that enjoyment?

"A few measly contacts" is in the eye of the beholder.

Perhaps the top layer players (1200+ Q's on CW) have
pretty much worked the bands dry by Sunday afternoon,
but others of us lower in the food chain are still
chugging along and having 'enjoyment' at that time.
38% of my 1075 contacts were worked after noon on
Sunday.

Further, your proposed 24-hour 1700Z-1700Z time frame
would really change the competitive mix dramatically,
further favoring stations with big aluminum on the
low bands.  As we move three-four years down the
reverse slope of the sunspots, 10-15-20 meters will
shut down at sundown (roughly 0000Z in the midwest)
and start showing some life an hour after sunrise
(roughly 1300Z in the midwest).   This means that
Joe Tribander will have roughly 7 hours of 'conditions'
Saturday afternoon, and maybe 4 hours of less desirable
'conditions' early Sunday.

If Joe Tribander has a bad start Saturday, he can
currently hope to "get well" by working hard through
all the daylight hours on Sunday. But if he only
has 4 early hours of daylight (under your proposal)
remaining, he won't even set the alarm.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com