No subject

Mark Beckwith swca at ionet.net
Wed Nov 8 05:01:53 EST 2000

Lots to talk about:

1.  I also do not respect an SS win from KP*, because essentially it is
purchased.  This is not to be confused with operating CQWW from a great
spot, becuase the outcome is not nearly as certain.  Bill's point is
well-made.

2.  George's GIF makes interesting viewing.  Pete says it proves *his*
point.  Okay.  Perhaps what George was getting at which Pete didn't notice
was that the plots stayed in pretty much the same order for the first half
of SS, and for the last half they criss-crossed a lot.  Point is, the
jockeying for position on Sunday adds a dimension unique to SS.  Somebody
who's behind Sunday morning can come back to win it.  I think this aspect
of SS shouldn't be lost.  I think SO2R and the ARRL's operating incentives
have made SS Sundays much more bearable than they used to be.

(the Geezer in me can't help suggesting that SS Sundays build character).

3.  I don't think whether you listen on USB or LSB changes the spacing
between two other guys on the band.  I agree that the problem is sloppy
transceiver filter / offset alignment.  Your receive passband must be
centered around your transmit signal offest.  Many transceivers don't come
this way out of the box, alas, thank goodness you can adjust it yourself.
If you haven't, you should.  Or at least check it with another rig.  It is
very important to know just where you listen with respect to your
transmitted signal, and not take for granted that your rig listens exactly
where it transmits.

Mark, N5OT

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com