[CQ-Contest] Re:

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Nov 8 09:26:24 EST 2000

At 05:01 AM 11/8/00 -0600, Mark Beckwith wrote:

>Lots to talk about:
>
>1.  I also do not respect an SS win from KP*, because essentially it is
>purchased.  This is not to be confused with operating CQWW from a great
>spot, becuase the outcome is not nearly as certain.  Bill's point is
>well-made.
>
>2.  George's GIF makes interesting viewing.  Pete says it proves *his*
>point.  Okay.  Perhaps what George was getting at which Pete didn't notice
>was that the plots stayed in pretty much the same order for the first half
>of SS, and for the last half they criss-crossed a lot.  Point is, the
>jockeying for position on Sunday adds a dimension unique to SS.  Somebody
>who's behind Sunday morning can come back to win it.  I think this aspect
>of SS shouldn't be lost.  I think SO2R and the ARRL's operating incentives
>have made SS Sundays much more bearable than they used to be.
>
>(the Geezer in me can't help suggesting that SS Sundays build character).

Maybe the graph proves all 3 of our points -- Under current rules, Sundays
make a difference in the outcome, it's boring as can be, and you have to be
a character to do it (hi).  Actually, to be fair to Mark, when I had my
townhouse station, the Sunday trudge was something of an equalizer, but it
was NEVER fun.

>3.  I don't think whether you listen on USB or LSB changes the spacing
>between two other guys on the band.  I agree that the problem is sloppy
>transceiver filter / offset alignment.  Your receive passband must be
>centered around your transmit signal offest.  Many transceivers don't come
>this way out of the box, alas, thank goodness you can adjust it yourself.
>If you haven't, you should.  Or at least check it with another rig.  It is
>very important to know just where you listen with respect to your
>transmitted signal, and not take for granted that your rig listens exactly
>where it transmits.

Seems to me there is another consideration.  If I can tune my RX so that
the next guy above me is rolled off both the filter passband and the audio
passband (i.e. at or very near zero beat), then I can probably run
comfortably with only his key clicks for company.  But assuming we're both
listening on LSB, if we're both using a 700 Hz carrier offset, he's hearing
me CQ-ing at a 1400-hz tone, which can get pretty annoying.  Yet nobody's
seriously suggesting that 700 Hz is too close for CW, are they?  Carrying
this logic a step further, if he had the ability to flip to USB CW then we
could coexist at this channel spacing pretty easily.  Or am I missing
something?

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database