[CQ-Contest] Re: How about 40M?

Keith Kerr pat058 at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Nov 9 15:15:56 EST 2000

Steve,
Interested to read your post re 40m. I agree with all you
said. A lot has been said about 40m in particular during
CQWW SSB, though the same applies in most of the major SSB
contests. 40m is, depending on your perspective, a
hell-hole to be avoided as much as possible or a real
challenge! A clear frequency may be defined as one where
the S-meter just occasionally nudges below S9!
With respect to the issue of listening on your own
frequency, as well as above 7150 (Eu perspective, of
course) it is very noticable that, as the evening
progresses and the opening to W/VE develops across Europe
on 40m, things get tougher. Tougher because those stations
who are able to run VE/W well enough just creep closer and
closer..they don't care, they don't listen on their Tx QRG
so they don't have a problem. The end game here is that the
band is jammed with everyone listening up and nowhere for
anyone to listen below 7100. If, in the meantime, they have
succeded in running off the guy who was nearby, then they
can listen on their TX QRG until it becomes impossible
again, so they revert to only listening up....and so on.
Messy..and no, I cannot think of a solution beyond giving
us all 7000 - 7300....and even then......?!
Another observation/question. How do you guys in W/VE
select a TX QRG on 40m? I am interested to know 'cos I
suspect (in my more paranoid moments) that at least some
seem to figure (correctly) that if an Eu station is
listening up on say 7248, then that spot +/- 500Hz is
pretty clear in Eu. Good place to call CQ! As I mentioned
in an earlier post, almost anything will happen sometimes
by chance. That's tough...this is a contest and activity is
high. But I think it happens too often. I have no
experience of operating 40m from the other side of the
pond. Am I mistaken in my observation?

Keith GM4YXI (occasional 40m op @ GM7V/GZ7V)

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com