[CQ-Contest] Fish in a barrel

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu Nov 9 08:32:58 EST 2000

On 11/8/00 9:18, Bill Fisher - W4AN at w4an at contesting.com wrote:

>Someone else suggested this plaque is the same thing as the Delta division
>plaque.  :)

(This plaque business must be only for High-Power operators....)

One of my prize possessions is a SS Certificate from 1989 for the SSB,
Low Power GA section win. (I know Bill is at a level of contesting where
he throws certificates away and only keeps plaques.) But this certificate
has a Division Leader sticker on it.

Now, you may wonder. How did a modest station (A3 at 35', dipoles) in
Georgia take the low-power Southeastern Division when competing against
the geographically-advantaged stations in KP4 and KP2?

Answer: 1989 was the year Hurricane Hugo came through in September and
left little standing in either place.

Bottom Line: It ain't EVER a done deal.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901