[CQ-Contest] shorten CW SS

W5ASP at aol.com W5ASP at aol.com
Thu Nov 9 23:08:39 EST 2000

Dan,

Your comment regarding the reality of "propagationally dis-advantaged areas"
was a pointed reminder to me that there are good and valid reasons for the 30
hour duration of SS.  Something I'd let slip from my mind.  That, along with
a further look at K5TR's rate chart from the '99 CW SS makes me less
supportive of any changes to the SS time format.

K6LL's comments together with my own observations of last Sunday afternoon
encouraged me to speak out for some sort of modification of SS.  Dave pointed
out the impact of 2-Radio operating in rapidly reducing the number of
possible Qs remaining for the later part of the contest.  Your point that the
2-Radio scheme makes constant CQing even easier since it doesn't interfere
the traditional S&P effort on Sunday afternoon helps further explain why
there is so much unrewarding CQing taking place.  No doubt the effect of the
growing use of the 2nd radio is a major contributor to the dilemma.

Thanks for the additional insight.

Joe, W5ASP

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com