[CQ-Contest] RV: [dx-list] to K3BU

Jose M. Valdes R. YV5LIX yv5lix at cantv.net
Fri Nov 10 12:29:34 EST 2000

Dear colleagues:

I don't agree with allowing packet to be used by single operators, and as
the rule goes they must me placed in the single operator assisted category.

And as for finding out who is making  use of packet and/or other DX alert
they are easy to spot, if LW9EUJ claims that some single operators are been
dishonest and are getting help from a packet systems and/or friends, I
assume the he has the evidences, that he know the calls of some of the
cheaters; and if this is the case is a simple matter of writing a letter to
the contest committee indicating name and call of the allege perpetrator and
his friends, that way contest organizers can disqualified them and create a
"black list" of hams to look close when they send their logs. I once
discovered a ham that was claiming QRP and won first place in several
international contest so I sent a letter to the organizers and next year he
was disqualified, if we have the evidence and we have our contest to be
clean and honest, we must be the first to do something about, and to unmask
this cheaters is the best way we can help.

To say that single ops and single assisted must be in the same category
because it is hard to fiend who is cheating is the same as to say that QRP
and low power must be in the same category because it is difficult to say
who is using more that 5 W and claiming QRP; or to say that high power and
low power must be treated as a single category because it is difficult to
say who is using 100 W and who is using 250 or 300. One rule that is often
broken is that of the low power, a operator running 250 W knows that he has
a big handicap against the KW satiations, yet he is in the same category, so
he goes ahead and send his log as low power and by doing so he gets a little
advantage against the 80 or 100 W operators.

I don't know if Martin is aware of this, but hams has been disqualified
and/or banned from some contest because they were dishonest.

Granted, some contest are allowing the use of the DXcluster for all
categories, but that does not necessary means that they are correct, in fact
in my opinion this is a mistake.

And to close this message I like to say to cheaters that yes, your name is
the magazine as the winner, but you know that in reality you are a looser,
you lost in your category and you know that, and you lost with your self
because now you also know that you are a mediocre that can not win fair and
square, so you are two times a looser.

Packet and or DX alert systems should never be used by single operators.

73/DX from Jose M. Valdes R. YV5LIX

Contest call 4M3X, YW5R, YW5S and YV5LIX.

50 MHz The Ultimate DX Band.
Six Club: 864

yv5lix at cantv.net
yv5lix at yv5lix.org