[CQ-Contest] NCJ Contest Tips Tricks & Techniques Topic

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Fri Nov 10 11:19:23 EST 2000

On 11/8/00 7:56 AM, Gary Sutcliffe at ums at nconnect.net wrote:

>A Contest Rating System. Should contesting have a rating system for
>participants as other activities such as chess have?  Should we have
>Masters and Grand Masters of Contesting?  If so, how should such a system
>be set up?
>
>Please reply directly by November 10. Be sure your call sign is in your
>reply.
>
>Thanks for your support!

Gary,

Seems to me that Bill Fisher  had a system of sorts set
up a few years ago, perhaps published in NCJ for a time. His method used
a computation of placement within various contests in comparison with the
overall winner.

One side-effect of this method is that those who participated in a large
number of the rating contests were potentially higher-rated than those
who had winning scores in a few contests, but were absent from the
others. I believe Bill changed his system a few times to counteract this.

As a former average serious chess player (USCF rating: 1600), I can
clearly see the benefits of a numerical rating system. In chess, the
rating is computed using a rather simple algorithm based on the rating of
your opponents, and the outcome of each game. (Newcomers are assumed
rated 1200, those with fewer than 25 rated games are provisional and used
a different algorithm)

In contesting, though, it is very hard to capture and neutralize all the
variables. Geographic, propagation and station differences all contribute
to differences in scoring. A great operator might produce a lower score
because he's on the west coast in a DX contest, or he doesn't have the
best station available. A mediocre operator at a superstation in the
northeast is likely to outscore him. How does a rating system equalize
those differences? Regional ratings might compesate for geography or
propagation, but what compensation do we have for station differences?

As for Grandmasters of contesting, seems anyone who has participated in
WRTC can likely lay claim to that title. I recently introduced K4BAI to
my wife as "one of the top-one hundred contest operators." I doubt anyone
would argue that assertion, given his two-time participating in WRTC. So,
we at least recognize great contest operators, even if we can't
numerically determine their rankings.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com