[CQ-Contest] SSSO2R

Scott Robbins w4pa at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 09:37:53 EST 2000

Jeff KU8E writes:

>Just ban SO2R from SS..... That way your contacts
will
>be more spread out over the 24 hour period.  I think
>the top guys probably get bored after the first 12
>hours or so because they have
>worked everyone earlier and quicker than if they have
>been using one radio. Seems like if you do SO2R it
>takes all the strategy , like picking the right band
>to be on or when to take your off times out of
>contesting. All you have to do is be a CQ machine and
tune on thesecond radio and work guys. Not much
>strategy to doing that....

Jeff, I take your comments in the spirit they were
intended (as a proponent of SO2R) but I gotta tell you
after going serious SO2R in the QRP category for the
last three years that the above only applies to the
high power category.  The strategy for SO2R QRPing is
nothing like I'd be using if I was running high power,
on several different points of the SO2R operation.

SS is not broken.  Sticking it out to the end and
combing the bands for everyone you can find running
18 WPM is an integral part of the contest.  It's not
a rate-piggy contest like the Sprint or running
Europeans in a DX contest.  Vive la difference.

I still think we oughta have an 8 hour "SS Sprint"
category that starts at 1500Z Sunday or something like
that.  You'd get the competitive guys that are blown
out from WW SSB the weekend before to get on and give
it that ol' college try for 8 hours.

>Why not just have one contest a year when everyone is
>on equal ground using one radio, one antenna, and one
>band at a time. Don't get me wrong... I am not
>bashing SO2R, I do it all the time,
>only because you have to do it to be competitive.....
                    Jeff  KU8E

Yeah!

We could call it the Stew Perry Topband Distance
Challenge....

Scott Robbins, W4PA