[CQ-Contest] SO Vs. SOA, etc

Gilmer, Mike mgilmer at gnlp.com
Mon Nov 13 08:01:07 EST 2000

	Jorge writes:

> I DON´T KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT TENLET, PACKET CLUSTER, SPOTS.... BUT MY
> QUESTION IS:   NOT IS POSIBBLE TO KNOW WHO WAS CONECTED TO THIS SYSTEMS OF
> DX ALERTS.??????

Simply, no.

1.  As an Unassisted operator, it is considered OK to connect to a Cluster,
but only for generating (uploading) new spots as long as you do not monitor
others' spots.  Contest logging programs (CT for example) allow this mode
which is good for club scores.  So who's to say that a callsign seen making
spots on or connected to a PacketCluster is or is not also looking at the
spots.
2. Operators can simply enter "monitor" mode on packet, thereby never
transmitting a thing, yet they can still watch spots being transmitted
around the cluster to other users.
3. Operators could use a bogus callsign to connect (if you are going to
cheat - go all the way!).
4. My guess is the use of Internet (Telnet) spots is even more "anonymous".
There's no government requirement for proper identification.

73 Mike N2MG

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com