[CQ-Contest] Single-Op - Stop the Rot

Paul O'Kane paul at ei5di.com
Mon Nov 13 21:49:33 EST 2000

>Single-op, if using external spotting, is no more single-op than
>fly-fishing would be fly-fishing if using nets, or gliding would
>be gliding if using engines, or orchestras would be orchestras
>if using backing tracks - etc.

In starting this thread, my intent was to highlight the lack
of logic shown by some contest organisers in allowing external
assistance in so-called single operator categories.

I have no objection to a "single-op assisted" category where
external assistance is permitted.

On the other hand, I strongly object to contests, and to contest
organisers, that do not distinguish between "single-op" and
"single-op assisted", and that do not include a separate
"single-op" category.

73,
Paul EI5DI
IARU Region 1 HF Contests Sub-Group Manager

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com