[CQ-Contest] Packet use for single ops.

DougKR2Q at aol.com DougKR2Q at aol.com
Tue Nov 14 09:29:16 EST 2000

In a message dated 11/14/00 9:05:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kr1g at hotmail.com writes:

<< I won't comment on whether its practical, but this gets my vote. No packet
 during contests, including no packet for Multiops.

 Turn back the clock!

 73
 Ted KR1G

**** Yes, that would be wonderful.  There WAS a group forming among the M/M's
last year to agree NOT to use packet.  Wonder what happened to that?  There
were several that had agreed.

It would be easy enough for the sponsors to "ban" packet during the contest.
The problem is the "casual" contester, or non-contester.  Some guys are just
looking for new countries (DXers).  How could you limit their participation
in packet while contesting without negatively affecting the number of
entrants or participants in the contest?  If these "small time" contests use
packet and submit a score, should the sponsors DQ them (if packet were
banned)?  That would be self-defeating for the contest.

What can be done, is to have a "gentleman's agreement" that if you think you
are going to be top ten (box scores), that you won't use packet during the
contest.

In "the olde days" one could look at the M/M or single band logs and see
"just how many mults" were possible (from the SOAB) perspective.  Now, the
number of mults is meaningless except to improve the score...it is no measure
at all of skill...at least any measure that is there is swamped by packet.

Of course, if the "top ten" boyz and girlz agree to not use packet (in each
category) then the casual types wouldn't find much of use on packet and maybe
they would turn away from it also.

By the way, I'm using "packet" to mean any type of spotting, including your
local buddy, the telephone, internet, etc.

The big hurdle would be the clubs.  They have used DX spotting in contests
forever.  If you could get THEM to drop packet use during a contest, 90% of
the battle would be won.

Yeah, it's fun to dream.

de Doug KR2Q

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com