[CQ-Contest] Sinlge op. Last message from me (I hope)

Martín Monsalvo LW9EUJ lw9euj at ciudad.com.ar
Wed Nov 15 12:02:54 EST 2000

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C04EFB.FC696FA0

Guys/Gals:
It's been really interesting to me to see the way some of you think about
the packe issue.
Al kind of opinions were received, including some: "...are you insane.." :-)
My primary questions still has no answer.
First of all let me say that I have never, ever entered the assisted
category. To my knowledge, there is no packet cluster in LU, There's no
internet from where I usually operate: LU1IV, in the middle of no where, and
at my father's workshop in Luján.
Let me also say that I'm convinced that packet has had a negative impact,
specially over DXing. Now getting in the DXCC honor roll is a matter of how
much time you can spend pointing and clicking the spots on your computer
screen, boring, isn't it.
In contesting I believe it is not a matter of likes and dislikes, it is a
matter of fair play.
My unanswered question: How do organiser do to assure equalness to entrants?
simply has no answer, whith the rules the way they are.
Altough some replied: xx CC does its best to find cheaters..... Seriously,
it is almost impossible to find.
Nobody talked about the example I gave of the two xx-xxx stations.
What about those who do not use packet, and after the contest has ended they
see sombody else did better than them in the SO class, so they turn their
entry into SOA.
I talked  about  it with some of you during WRTC in Slovenia. What I've
heard was simply awful.
I do not know why to privilege our likes and dislikes rather than
privileging fair play.
If packet was allowed, as far as the use of this technical thing is
concerned, all the stations would be whithin the rules.
To this aseveration, many used analogy to respond: Hey, we cannot control
the use of excessive power either, so let's put no limit to that.
I guess that is another problem, and that one does not prevent us from
solving another.
What it would be like if we don't solve our problems, just because there are
others we cannot. It would be getting worse day after day.
To those who don't like packet, like myself, if packet was allowed for
single ops, we still would have the choice of not using the spots if we
want, that won't be out of the rules.
Once againg thanks to all who replied, even those who believe I've gone
bannanas.
All I hope is that as contesters, we not only enter contests, but also
discuss of the problems we have in our beatiful sport.
Hope to CU during CQ WW CW
I'll be having fun from my father's: LU6EBY
Regards.

Martín Monsalvo, LW9EUJ
lw9euj at qsl.net
WWYC # 97