[CQ-Contest] Packet use/Log Secrecy

Tim Makins, EI8IC ei8ic at eircom.net
Wed Nov 15 13:19:15 EST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: <i4jmy at iol.it>
>........Denying facts is ridculoulous: look at a new spot during a contest,
>note on a paper the first 20-30 calls and later check if most of those
>calls are not SO contest entrants and if then they declare to be
>assisted or not. Follow another spot, in another band and repeat the
>procedure................

OK, looks like we have the answer here, if only people can agree to allow
anyone to inspect any log.  With all the number crunching capabilities
available these days, is it not possible to match the time when spots were
posted to who then worked them ?? (This is a question, not a statement, as I
have never even seen a packet spot, so apologise for my ignorance, but
assuming you can get a list of who and when ??, it should be possible to
correlate with the contest logs??)  I'm NOT saying that people in the first
20-30 should be penalised, but it if becomes generally accepted that if you
do things like this the World will soon put 2 and 2 together, then this
MIGHT help to stop this form of cheating.

A question to Those-Who-Know:  Just where does it say in the rules that logs
are secret anyway ???????

We send in our logs to the contest organisers on the understanding that they
can do whatever checking they like to determine our final placing. And we
agree, or even expect, that the scores will be made known to the World.  But
there seems to be some undercurrent on this list that says that the logs
themselves are proprietary information, not to be made public.  Is this true
??  And if so, Why ??

In the space of the last few years, with the rise of the Internet and of
computerised contest logs, it is truly possible for the first time in
history to, in theory, be able to get on the Internet and examine any log
you wish to see.

Does any one have a problem with this ?
Does any one think that logs should be kept secret?
Is it possible/easy/cheap enough for contest organisers to post all logs on
a website?

To show that I put my-money-where-my-mouth-is, in the next couple of months
I intend to join in with those already doing it by posting my logs on the
Internet.  I will also add a line to my contest summary sheets stating that
I give permission for the contest organisers to post or publish my log as
they see fit.

Who will join me in this ?

Tim Makins, EI8IC, ex G4DNV, VP8AQU.

PS Perhaps the organisers of the World Contest Station Database will include
a section that indicates where all the posted-logs can be seen, so that it
will be easy to find the one you are looking for.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com