[CQ-Contest] Packet and No Packet

Patrick Barkey PBARKEY at gw.bsu.edu
Fri Nov 17 09:23:35 EST 2000

After operating Sunday afternoon in the CW SS, I
feel even more strongly about one thing.  That is,
anything that increases contest activity is good.
There may be a price to be paid, but I'll take a
contest with a lot of people on the air over just about
any other alternative.

That's why I don't see packet as a "take it or leave
it" situation, at least as far as the whole contest is
concerned.  As a matter of fact, I don't even see it
that way personally.  When it comes to assistance
during contests, I have operated from both extremes
and find them both fun in their own way.

Operating at the K3LR M/M we have every form of
assistance you can imagine (within the rules, of
course).  We have packet.  We have anywhere from
5 to 10 receivers tuning bands who are aware of
what we need (at K3LR).  Our brains are processing
an avalanche of information streaming in from all
directions, and we are trying to get absolutely every
multiplier that shows up all weekend.  We are
pulling out all the stops, working as a team, and
it is a lot of fun.

That is one extreme.

The other extreme is SOAB.  You are completely on
your own.  Every multiplier that shows up in your log is
there because of your own hard work.  No one tells
you that, say, 160 is open to Europe.  You have to go
there, tune your receiver, and verify it on your own.
You do not automatically get a mountain of multipliers.
In fact, if you don't work very hard at it, your multiplier
will stink.

When you show up after the contest and talk to the
other folks, you will realize that you missed out on
30 percent or more of the mults that were on.  That's
if you're good.  But the same goes for your competition,
so if you're nimble and savvy (look at what W4AN did
on 160m Saturday night in the 1999 WW CW) you
can get an advantage.

Neither of these particular ways of operating, or any of
the thousands that lie in between the two extremes, is
right or wrong.  The beauty of contesting is that they
can all coexist on the same weekend.

   - Pat
     N9RV

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com