[CQ-Contest] Super Check Partial - Crutch or Tool?

k7qq at juno.com k7qq at juno.com
Thu Nov 16 04:35:43 EST 2000

Quacks
I use the SCP in about the same way, To help fill a call  I might miss
the first letter on then , I try to be sure that I have the call correct
when I get the exchange or ask them to confirm the call.  It can be very
useful in SS where the station has to send their call as a part of the
exchange,  I also always set the option to confirm a changed call  (NA
Option)

I consider SCP as an aid (not assisted.)
Rex   K7QQ
On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 05:12:54 +0000 Ron Wetjen <wd4ahz at gte.net> writes:

> Again, I've seen the topic of Super Check Partial being discussed as
> some form of "assistance". I think perhaps that depends on how you
> use
> it.
>
> What exactly is the correct way to use it?  As a crutch (for
> guessing
> calls) or a tool (for making sure you have calls correct)?
>
> I prefer to use it as a tool.  If a station calls and it shows up in
> the
> database, I'm about 75% certain, the call is correct.  If there are
> any
> doubts, I'll ask.
>
> On the other hand, if I type in a call that doesn't show up in the
> database, that serves as a warning to me, that the call may be
> incorrect.  That tells me I'd better make sure it's correct before I
> log
> it.
>
> Either way, one still has to copy the callsigns.  If one chooses to
> use
> the database or not, that's their choice.
>
> I don't have big aluminum, 2 radios, use Internet spotting, run an
> amp,
> etc.  If I can use the database to give me a little advantage (the
> same
> advantage that's available to most everyone who uses computer
> logging),
> I'll use it ... until it's against the rules.
>
> I'm very satisfied to know that my UBN reports are on par with the
> "big
> guns" - even if my scores aren't.
>
> 73, Ron
>
> --