[CQ-Contest] First Robot Op Competition

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Tue Nov 21 13:01:49 EST 2000

In a message dated 11/21/2000 8:38:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tjanste at algonet.se writes:

>  Somehow I like this approach, "be judged in the same way as all humans"...
> But it also reminds me of a parallel from another field, namely computer
> chess. A big monetary prize was put up to the first computer program that
> could beat a human grandmaster, and eventually Kasparov (who is not any
> grandmaster) was beaten by IBM's program Deep Blue in a match. So the prize
> stimulated a huge amount of software development -- how about doing the
same,
> Pete, why stop with a plaque?! It surely would be worth it.

Mario, S56A had something like that way back, apparently it was quite good.
When I asked him about it at WRTC, he said that he caned it, didn't want to
spoil the contesting!

This is interesting subject. It is technology, single operator "could use it."

The question is do we want to add outboard engine on our sailboats, or do we
stay strictly with sails? Do WE want to operate/contest, or do we want to
WATCH robots to operate? Maybe we should vote or outline our strategy, before
somebody goes on "wasting" their time developing robot?

Packeteers might say "who needs the robot, when we have hundreds of hams
prowling the bands and spotting stuff on Internet" :-)

In the mean time I am struggling with verticales on the beach and trying to
hitch two radios on a same band.

Yuri, K3BU
Tesla RC N2EE
"Who needs towers and rotators,
when bunch of tubing and relays would do"

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com