[CQ-Contest] overwhelmed by packet spot dumper inners

K4BEV at aol.com K4BEV at aol.com
Mon Nov 27 14:13:11 EST 2000

In a message dated 11/27/00 12:27:40 PM Central Standard Time,
k4oj at tampabay.rr.com writes:

<< Poor operating technique in general coupled with low signal levels of DX
 stations causes these big packet generated pileups to cover the juicy
 multipliers with QRM. >>

INDEED !
You can sure tell when someone you're working gets spotted. Seems that half
the world's ops come up at the same time on your freq. While looking for
African stations in CQWWCW I heard a vy faint ZL6 long path, turned the
antenna around and he was gone. Back to long path and there he was. Turned
the AGC off to copy his call and got him with my first call.....cool.....
during his exchange it was obvious that he'd been spotted - MANY stations
IMMEDIATELY started sending their calls...obviously never listening at all.
Most were probably swinging to short path and I was between the East coast
and the ZL. The 765 survived - my hearing may recover eventually.

Spotting nets are a nice DX chasing tool, but should be BANNED in the big
contests other than SS (just my opinion). Its hard enough to play in DX tests
LP with limited antennas without thoughtless computer generated QRM to
contend with too. At least I hope that the software dumps your call when you
activate a spot. Surely the big name contesters whose calls I heard in these
messes weren't intentionally transmitting without listening..... I may be
fairly new to ham radio, and do some dumb stuff, but even I'm not that bad a
lid.
Listen - Decide - Transmit ---- In that order. Fairly simple concept.
de K4BEV

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com