[CQ-Contest] Packet pile ups - do we need them?

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Tue Nov 28 10:12:25 EST 2000

In a message dated 11/28/2000 8:15:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
windev at inetmarket.com writes:

>  However, their is a simple solution.  I don't know why it
>  has not been mentioned. Paul, K1XM, at P29VPY this past weekend,
>  used this most excellent time-proven technique: operate split.
>  Paul used a 1 KHz split typically, and that was fine.  In a crowded
>  contest band, even a few hundred hz will do.

Yep,
especially "welcome," when you have "your" frequency invaded by "splitters."
Now lemme see: if all the DX stations operated split the bands would really
become fun and UBNs would skyrocket.

I must be very old fashioned. I tune the band, find the rare one calling CQ,
zero-in on him, make a call ..... only to hear "packeteer" never ending roar
land on the poor sucker and "kill" him. I guess one solution is for DX to
jump to another frequency, leave the packeteers QRMing each other and start
the fresh run (until is spotted again).

I remember the days when contesting depended on the operator skill on finding
the multiplier, and DX had fun working one after another as people were
discovering it and working in nice sequence.

I vote for turning the packet network world wide off during the contest
weekend, and lets get back to skill and more fun. It is getting ridiculous.

Yuri, K3BU
was N2EE/4 on Cape Hatteras with f$%#@ omnidirectional 3 el. vertical

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com