[CQ-Contest] Packet pileups

Stewart Cooper coopersg at odl.co.uk
Wed Nov 29 09:24:12 EST 2000

It seems like a miracle to me that we haven't got mass generation of 'spoof'
spots during major contests. Those who use packet to their advantage in very
quickly grabbing spots, doing an auto QSY and shouting their callsign, all
in the same deft flick of the wrist will probably be doing it for the last
time. It's inevitable, in the same way as 14.195 has turned into a Tower of
Babel, that the same will happen to packet. Anyone can log in to an internet
cluster node, type in any callsign they like, and start generating garbage.
Whether it's clever garbage, or just rubbish, wouldn't even matter. That's
going to make packet more of a hindrance than a help. Then we'll have to all
be authenticated and provide ever changing passwords to log on to the
cluster...then we'll have to pay to use the service...and so on.

Stewart GM0F/GM4AFF

PS My submissions don't usually make it to the reflector, so let's hope this
does.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com