[CQ-Contest] Re: Packet pile ups - do we need them?

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Nov 28 20:00:55 EST 2000

At 09:46 PM 11/26/00 -0800, Dick Frey wrote:

>Well put, Martin.
>
>It is frustrating on this side too.  We unassisted ops are really happy when
>we stumble across a new mult - you were a double on 40M.  Suddenly there is
>no order -- Big Stations calling out of sequence, off frequency, and not
>listening.  It seems the tactic is to grab the spot and call repeatedly
>until the station answers.

I agree mostly.  When you come on one of these pileups late, it seems as if
some frequency offset can be the key to getting through.  I had this happen
several times when I was able to match offsets with the previously
successful station.  So maybe when someone calls "off frequency" it just
means he's trying to crack through the mess...  In fact, I think maybe I
did this with VK5GN once (hi).

73, Pete N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database