[CQ-Contest] Packet pile ups - do we need them?

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg at contesting.com
Wed Nov 29 13:56:06 EST 2000

On Tue, 28 November 2000, K3BU at aol.com wrote:

> I remember the days when contesting
> depended on the operator skill on
> finding the multiplier, and DX had
> fun working one after another as
> people were discovering it and
> working in nice sequence.

Well, the rude pileups are nothing new.
Years ago, before CT, bandmaps and packet,
operators with marginal signals would tune
the bands, calling stations instead of
running.  It seemed they all had the same
complaint back then, too, "If I try to run,
I cannot control the pileup."  So packet
has not caused this problem, but it has
made it acute - a situation that might
have built up over many minutes now occurs
in just one or two, depriving the DX of
almost any time running.

I'm not trying to defend packet - if it
went away (which it won't), I wouldn't