[CQ-Contest] Re: packet

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at w9wi.com
Thu Nov 30 08:24:20 EST 2000

> From: "Dominiak, Michael" <MDominia at harris.com>
>
> I for one, enjoy using packet in contests for hunting down multipliers and
> watching whats on the band.  However, I also believe that packet assistance
> has gotten to the point it has made contesting worse, and overall less fun
> for a lot of participants.  It reduces skillful operating practices, and

Packet itself is not (most of) the problem.  If those using packet insisted
on being able to copy the DX station before engaging their transmitters,
there would be much less of a problem.  Unfortunately, it is very unlikely
that is going to happen.

I would suggest that if you were able to determine the identities of the
participants in a "packet pileup", you would find that 50% or more never
submit a log.  (indeed, you're likely to find many for whom the spotted
station is the only one they work that weekend)  No change in contest rules
is going to affect these operators.  I suppose you could shut down the
packet system (or at least, spots on contest bands) but I think you're
unlikely to get enough cooperation.  50% cooperation isn't enough.

<diabolical suggestion:> I see one operator has admitted planting
intentionally-munged spots.  Posting a massive number of spots with the
country intentionally munged into something rare (GM0F=>9M0F, 9AY2K=>YA92K,
WA6GFY=>UA6GFY etc.) might "poison" the system enough to get rid of this
practice.  </diabolical suggestion>

I'm leery of having DX operate split during contests.  It certainly works
well.  At the expense of whoever happens to using the spectrum within 2kHz
up from the DX station.  With SO2R, we have enough trouble finding run
spectrum.  If the amount of spectrum required by a DX station quadruples
('cuz you know to some people "UP" means 500Hz while to others it means
2kHz) the problem is that much worse.

> How many of the single op stations would want to stop using packet if the
> incentive was right?

How many $$ you offering?<g>
Seriously, I suspect many SOA stations just want to get on and work as many
countries as possible - they really *don't care* about their score.  No
multiplier for unassisted operation will discourage them.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com