[CQ-Contest] Packet Pileups -> Breaking Pileups

Ken Claerbout Ken.Claerbout at globalone.net
Thu Nov 30 11:01:37 EST 2000

<Don't call ZERO BEAT with me!!! When the pileup gets big I start to
<[TRY] QSX up 200-300 Hz. Do I announce it? No! But I wish more <people
figured it out.... Especially you guys who aren't running big
<antennas/QRO. It's often that I was working a station who was S5 and
<called me up 300 Hz instead of a 59+20 station who was calling me on my
<frequency, along with 10 other 59+ stations. CW is not SSB, where the
<loudest guy usually gets through first. CW is more about timing and
calling <on the right frequency. i.e., it's more about skill.

   Jeff brings up an excellent point.  Several years ago while operating
as JY8ZW, I did the same thing.  My host had a Kenwood TS-830 with no
external VFO so I was left with the RIT.  I can't begin to tell you how
many stations, and weak ones at that, I worked up 200 - 300 Hz while the
big boys were beating each others brains out directly on my TX freq.
This is a great bit of advice for anyone but in particular, those
smaller stations looking to break pile-ups whether in a contests or
chasing new countries.  Big hardware is good but a skilled operator with
a smaller station can sometimes win out.

73
Ken  K4ZW

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com