[CQ-Contest] Behavior of U.S. M/M's in CQ WW

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Oct 31 21:26:47 EST 2000

At 03:27 PM 10/31/00 -0500, Nat Heatwole wrote:
>Is this the common policy of all M/M's: don't work anyone in a US zone after
>you already have worked that mult on that band? That seams very selfish to
>me, and it certainly doesn't promote the idea of bringing new people into
>contesting. What should I have done to get the QSO/mults? Should I have told
>him that I had gotten a late start and didn't have 05 yet? Would he then
>have worked me? Could I have done anything? What should be the policy of M/M
>'s in CQ WW?

In a lengthy thread last year, it was pretty well established that "work em
and go on" is both the smart and the right thing to do.  FWIW, not all ops
at M/Ms necessarily know that.

I tend to wait till relatively late in the second day of CQWW to see
whether I'm still missing the US country mult on any band, and then go drop
my call on a multi, preferably one who is CQing at a slow rate of return.
A simple "N4ZR for the mult" at this point in the contest seems to work
pretty well for getting me in the log.

I'd hope that by then I've gotten the zone 3-5 mults from VEs.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at