[CQ-Contest] Internet/WebCam in the contest?!

k7mk at micron.net k7mk at micron.net
Mon Oct 2 16:34:50 EDT 2000

For WPX SSB last spring I set up a webcam at the NK7U multi-op.  We had
a similar setup to what is being used at K1TTT.  A single image uploads
to the server once every 5 minutes and a Java script on the web page
refreshes the image.  Most of the images were of the back of peoples
heads as they sit at the console.  That gets pretty boring after a
while so we stuck the camera out the window to show the towers.  The
resolution on the webcams is so poor that unless you stuck the camera 1
foot from the radio, there would be no way of telling what frequency
the operator was on.

So I agree that if you have live audio and video streaming out over the
internet and you make your operating frequency readily available in
this streaming data, then you are definitely cheating and breaking the
spirit/intent of the contest.

However, the actual operation and maintenance of the webcam probably
hurts the overall score.  There is no doubt that the run station was
off the air numerous times to move the camera, redial the internet
connection or reboot the server.  For those 5 guys that were searching
out NK7U on the bands because "they are the guys with the webcams",
they probably couldn't find us on the air because the netcam server
took the whole network down and we were all off the air!  We probably
spent 2 hours before the contest setting up the software and the
camera.  We should have spent this time working on the radios or on the
antennas instead of working on the netcam.

So, all and all, the way we used the netcam was just a novelty.
Hopefully, it only led to some good laughs (remember the butt shot?),
increased contester camaraderie and maybe it showed some new contesters
what a multi-op contest station looks like.  Used correctly (i.e. no
frequencies given out, gratuitous self promotion before the contest,
etc.) it should help to promote/further the sport instead of detract
from it.

The example stated below (in the previous post) should be exactly what
happens.  For example, some guy is sitting around not planning on
contesting for the weekend, but he remembers someone posting something
about having a webcam setup.  So he turns on his radio and starts
contesting.  If he only works the netcam guy, it is a unique and it
will most likely be thrown out. He, however, will probably set down for
a while and maybe work 10, 20... 100 contacts.  The only one that
should be upset here is the guy's wife.  She told him to mow the lawn,
but he snuck out to the shack and racked up 100 QSO's!  Now he's
sleeping in the doghouse just because of that darn "Netcam Guy"!

Is NK7U going to have a netcam for CQWW this year???  Probably not...
I'll be out working on the antennas until 23:59.

73, K7MK.